1.21.2010

Dolly's Tostada Bowls

A girl's best friend- Adobo by Goya.  I never knew of this clever little spice til I started learning cooking from Dolly and Sarena (my best friend and her sister- another dear friend).  Sarena introduced me to Adobo in her Beef Stew recipe (which is fantastic).  But this little spice I now use in my mexican cooking and never use the taco seasoning packets that fill my pantry.  It's better for us too, as I can control how much spice I add and how much sodium is in the dish.
To make these delish bowls....here are the ingredients:

Tostada Bowls:
4-5 chicken breasts- boneless, skinless
Adobo seasoning
shredded taco cheese
low fat sour cream
tostada shells
avocado
taco sauce
shredded lettuce- I take lettuce and use my chopper on it
beans- both black and pinto- MUST rinse with water
tomato and onion- chopped


This recipe is easy peasy.  I've modified it from Dolly's making it a bit more healthy.  This is a major request here in our house and my kids' friends come over to eat it too!  Take the chicken breasts and brown in a frying pan..with NO other butter or oil.  You don't need it.  When they are almost done..remove from pan and let cool.  Then shred.  Either with a fork or I use my Food Chopper from Pampered Chef (and no I do not sell it  ).  I return the chicken to the pan to cook through and then add in adobo to taste.  I season it about three times around the pan usually.

I take the beans and rinse them.  Depending on my mood I sometimes throw them in the frying pan to heat through with the meat.  You have to rinse them otherwise it makes the meat gray and gross.

I layer in a bowl:  Tostada shell..Dolly taught me to crush it...so it's easier to eat..we love it that way!
then meat, beans, and top with shredded lettuce, avocado, cheese, taco sauce and sour cream.  That's it.  Very delish.  All of these recipes freeze great too!









1 comment:

redthread said...

This one sounds yummy and easy to make. I will definately be trying it out.