1.19.2010

Tried an Ellie Kreiger recipe-Pork Piccata

I'm a huge fan of EK.  Her cookbooks saved my life when we started our healthy lifestyle two years ago.  I was complaining that there was no good food that was low fat and trying to tune into my episode of Paula Deen or someone and it taped Ellie Krieger instead.  :)  Great for us since we now get to sample her wonderful food.  I highly recommend either of her two cookbooks.  I have not really found one recipe we didn't like yet.

She recommends a spinach recipe and also mashed potatoes.  I'll share my mashed potatoes in a separate post and also spinach.  You can buy Ellie Krieger's cookbooks at Amazon.  I will share the general idea of the recipe but you need the cookbooks as I extensively use them in my menu. 



Pork Piccata   (paraphrased here by me :)
1/4 c flour
s& fresh pepper
1 1/4 lb pork tenderloin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c dry white wine
1 c chicken broth (low fat, low sodium)
juice of one lemon
3 tbsp drained capers
spinach
mashed potatoes

Take:
1/4 c flour
salt and fresh pepper

Mix the above in a ziploc

Cut 1 1/4 lbs of pork tenderloin crosswise into round medallions
throw into bag and toss to coat.

Meanwhile get about 2 tbsp of olive oil heating in a skillet (not non-stick).  Brown the meat in two batches about 1-2 min each side.  Do not worry about cooking it all the way through. 

Remove from pan and immediately add in 3 cloved of minced garlic and the dry white wine.  Cook til the wine reduces by about 1/2.  Stir up the bits from the bottom of the frying pan.  Add in the broth and the lemon along with the capers and boil til it reduces slightly.  Add in the tenderloin again and cook til the tenderloin is cooked through.  I served it over mashed potatoes and with spinach I steamed in the microwave.  To season the spinach I only add in salt and pepper.  I use a microsteamer from Pampered Chef.

No comments: