1.14.2010

Pasta Pizil

I got this recipe from a friend's grandmother years and years ago.  It's become a staple around here.  I don't eat this anymore though.  Not too healthy for those trying to change their lives.  And that friend- we don't keep in touch anymore..but that's ok because I got the recipe out of it.

A few things you will learn about me.  I am sicilian so I don't measure...I just season to taste.  So bear with me.  I just shake some in.  Don't dump in a ton.  So a bit at a time.  Also I don't skimp.  If I say romano cheese- I mean the good stuff..the imported.  I do NOT use the green bottle of parmesan or the red bottle of romano- EVER.  I also do not have a lot of photos..nor do I have time to TAKE a lot.  I will try.  One of my big projects (as a "great Mom") was to compile our family recipes in three separate scrapbooks that I SCRAPPED for them.  (What was I thinking?) So I am slowly taking photos of the completed items and will share when I can find them.  But I don't want to keep you from the good stuff either    I am also no Ree from Pioneer Woman..she's truly amazing....ranch life, 4 kids and has time to take step by step photos of her recipes.  Ain't gonna happen here folks.  :)


Pasta Pizil
1- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 onion or 2 - chopped
1 lb of bacon- chopped or use scissors and cut
3 cans of peas - 15 oz is fine, do NOT drain
1/2 lb of elbow noodles cooked and drained.  I use wheat
basil, oregano and garlic
romano cheese
crusty bread

Take a large pot and put the chopped bacon and onion in it..start to brown it.  Do not use oil or butter..you do not need it.  Once it's cooked down- i drain the grease and rinse the bacon off in water.  I cook it until the bacon has cooked most of the fat off but before it's all brown and dried out.  It truly doesn't matter though.  Put the bacon back in pot and cook until hot again.  Then throw in the tomato sauce..heat that through and throw in the spices.  I also then put in the peas with the water.  I throw in a few handfuls of the romano cheese and heat through.  Serve with crusty italian bread.

Enjoy!  And make sure to post back here so I can see if you liked it.

Fee

No comments: